My husband was diagnosed with very large brain tumor for which we had to make a number of important decisions quickly this past Thursday. I know you will understand that there will be no typical blog this week but I have prepared highlights of upcoming events this coming week as well as a jobs list from the past three weeks.
I’ve witnessed my first live CT total body scan and have encountered a lot of medical devices which will improve outcomes for my husband’s upcoming surgery and for which we are very grateful. Depending on the biopsy results to be taken initially during the surgery, I expect to learn a lot more about brain tumor therapy as well as potentially appropriate cancer drugs soon.
This Week’s Upcoming Events
- BioCentury This Week, See new program Webcast Starting Sunday, August 18, 2013 http://www.biocenturytv.com, Available anytime starting at 9:00 a.m. EDT: Topic: “Genome Revolution: The Second Decade,” Speaker: Dr. Eric Green, Director of the National Human Genome Research Institute
- Bio2Device Group, Tuesday Morning, August 20, 2013; Topic: “Occupational Therapy Medical Devices;” Speaker: Anupam Pathak, Founder/CEO, Lynx Design
- BioScience Forum, Wednesday Evening, August 21, 2013; Topic: “Partnering in the Life Sciences – New Models for Early Stage Collaboration;” Speaker: Christopher Haskell, Ph.D., Head, US Science Hub, Bayer Healthcare Pharmaceuticals
- BayBio, Thursday Night, Aug. 22, 2013; Event: BayBio Life Science Pub Night
- CACO Workshop, Friday Afternoon, August 23, 2013; Topic: “Clinical Formulation Development and Registration for Small-Molecule NCEs;” Speakers: David Baker, (WriteResource), Zedong Dong (FDA CDER), Sanjeev Kothari (Genentech), Minli Xie
Next Upcoming UC Berkeley Extension Business and Marketing Course
- UC Berkeley Extension Course, Thursday and Friday, Oct. 3-4, 2013; Course: “Life Science Business and Marketing: Their Integral Role for Success,” Instructor: Audrey S. Erbes, Ph.D., Principal, Erbes & Associates and AudreysNetwork.com blog; Guest Speakers: Joyce Chiarenza, Regulatory Consultant; Linda Schock, Director, Commercial Compliance and Government Programs, CIS; Bev Hudson, MBA, Executive Director/SVP of Clinical Research, Oklahoma Foundation for Cardiovascular Research; Julie Tompkins, MBA, Sr. Vice President, Timely Data Resources, Inc. Dates and Time: Thursday and Friday, Oct. 3-4, 2013; 8:30 am – 5:00 pm for classroom intensive and balance of term for working on term project; Location: Downtown University of California, Berkeley Extension, 425 Market St., 8th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105; Fee: $795, online registration now available; Fee: $795, course ID is BUS ADM X442.4; Register at http://tinyurl.com/kmkwbuy
- UC Berkeley Extension Course, Thursday and Friday, Dec. 5-6, 2013; Course: “Life Science Business Development,” (formerly known as Biotechnology Business Development); Lead Instructor: Audrey S. Erbes, Ph.D., Principal, Erbes & Associates and AudreysNetwork.com blog; Guest Speakers: Allison Dupuy, Ph.D., is a Senior Director in the Life Sciences division of Simon-Kucher & Partners; Harold (Hal) Etterman, MBA, CEO, Knight Financial Plans & Services, LLC; Carolyn Feamster, MBA, a business strategy and analysis consultant; Gilbert R. Mintz, Ph.D., President of GRM Associates; Ginger Dreger, J.D., M.S., partner in Arnold & Porter LLP’s intellectual property practice group; Chris Dokomajilar, Deal Operations Manager at Recap LLC; Location: Downtown University of California, Berkeley Extension, 425 Market St., 8th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105; Cost: Fall term—fee: $895, (440.8-001). Register at http://tinyurl.com/lba26sq
You can download Audreys Picks Aug 18, 2013 with details about the above events plus those through January 2014 plus last three weeks of Jobs That Crossed My Desk Through August 18, 2013 by right clicking on highlighted titles. You can also download these pdf files at any time from my blog found at www.AudreysNetwork.com.
Note that there is a new biotech job site on the BIO website entitled “Bio Jobs: The Talent Hub for Biotech” at http://jobs.bio.org. You can search for open positions via various parameters.