This is a short week with Thanksgiving rapidly approaching. I have some good news on two fronts—a recent article in Nature reports on the opening of the IPO window for the biotech sector with 12 life science IPOs this year as a result of growing investment interest and that the NASDAQ Biotech Index is surpassing the NASDAQ Composite. This infusion of public financing doesn’t replace the 40% drop in VC investments but it is good news that there’s an exit for some companies. The article entitled “Investment relief for biotech sector: Public markets provide cash injection for struggling field” by Heidi Ledford suggests that some VCs have even returned to the biotech sector.
There is also a marked increase in job listings that have crossed my desk this week. Some of my acquaintances tell me that they can’t follow up with the number of openings of interest to them. In the larger populace members of the long-term unemployed are once again seeking employment which explains why the unemployment rate nationally actually went up one tenth of a percent. I’ve listed below the upcoming events for this week as well as next week. Organizations in the Bay Area took a break for this Thanksgiving Holiday week and I’ll be taking brief vacation from my blog—doing one for two week span. I’ll be attending the events listed for next week. Looking forward to seeing you then.
- BioCentury TV Today, See new program Webcast Starting Sunday, Nov. 18, 2012 http://www.biocenturytv.com, Available anytime starting at 9:00 a.m. EDT; Topic: “Antibiotic Wars: Gaining the Upper Hand;” Speakers: FDA leaders who co-chair the agency’s Antibacterial Drug Development Task Force: Dr. Edward Cox, Director of the Office of Antimicrobial Products at the Center for Drug Evaluation and Research; Dr. Rachel Sherman, Associate Director of the Office of Medical Policy at CDER; The two members of Congress who spearheaded the bipartisan GAIN Act: Sen. Richard Blumenthal, Democrat of Connecticut and Rep. Phil Gingrey, Republican of Georgia; and two biotech executives leading the charge for new drugs: Mark Leuchtenberger, President and CEO of Rib-X Pharmaceuticals, which has qualified two drugs for GAIN incentives and Dr. Barry Eisenstein, SVP of Scientific Affairs at Cubist Pharmaceuticals, who testified to Congress on behalf of the GAIN legislation
- Bio2Device Group, Tuesday Morning, Nov. 27, 2012; Topic: “How to avoid pitfalls in regulatory documentation and reduce risks during Inspections, Audits, and Litigation;” Speaker: Connie Hoy, Vice President of Regulatory Affairs and Quality Assurance
- Merrell Datasite, Tuesday Morning, Nov. 27, 2012; Topic: Global Intellectual Property: A Different Approach than in the U.S.; Speaker: Steven Carlson, Principal, Fish and Richardson
- Prescience International, Thursday, Nov. 29, 2012; Topic: “Successful Financing Negotiations: Valuation, Financing Terms and the Term Sheet;” Speaker: Herbert Fockler, Partner, Wilson Sonsini Goodrich & Rosati
Upcoming UC Berkeley Life Science Courses
- UC Berkeley Extension Course, Thursday and Friday, Dec. 6-7, 2012; Course: “Life Science Business Development,” (formerly known as Biotechnology Business Development); Instructor: Audrey S. Erbes; Guest Speakers: Thomas L. Gutshall, Chairman as well as Co-Founder of Cepheid; Harold (Hal) Etterman, MBA, CEO, Knight Financial Plans & Services, LLC; Carolyn Feamster, MBA, a business strategy and analysis consultant; Gilbert R. Mintz, Ph.D., President of GRM Associates; Ginger Dreger, J.D., M.S., Partner in Arnold & Porter LLP’s Intellectual Property Practice Group; Chris Dokomajilar, Manager, Senior Biopharma Analyst at Deloitte Recap LLC
Dates and Time: Thursday and Friday, Dec. 6-7, 2012; 8:30 am – 5:00 pm for classroom intensive and balance of term for working on term project; Location: Downtown University of California, Berkeley Extension, 425 Market St., 8th Floor, San Francisco, CA 94105; Cost: Fall term—fee: $895, (EDP 408294). Register at http://extension.berkeley.edu/catalog/course2005.html
- UC Berkeley Extension, Thursday Evenings, Feb. 14-28, March 7-14 and 28, 2013; Topic: “Life Science Product Marketing;” Instructor: Audrey S. Erbes, Ph.D.; Guest Speakers: Deb Donovan, Director of Marketing at Avantis Medical Systems; Christian Schuler, Partner, Simon Kucher; Stanley Skrzypczak, M.S., M.B.A., SeniorDirector, Commercial Development, Genomic Health; Charles Versaggi, President, Versaggi Biocommunications; Steven Wong, Senior Consultant, Plan A
Dates and Time: Thursdays, Feb. 14-28, March 7-14 and 28, 2013; 6:00 – 9:00 pm; Location: UC Berkeley Extension, 1301 Shoreway Road, Suite 400, Belmont, CA 94002; Fee: (Fee and EDP number to be announced in December—$695 in 2012); See more details and register at http://extension.berkeley.edu/catalog/course135.html in early December.
You can download the details for these events as well as others through Feb. 2013 by right clicking on Audrey’s Picks. You can download the Jobs That Crossed My Desk Through Nov. 21, 2012 by right clicking on the highlighted title. This list also includes jobs listed during the previous two weeks.