BioCentury TV explores an interesting aspect of the life science industry’s involvement with the impact of sequestration. The program notes that budget sequestration would slash $2.5 billion from NIH, which in turn could eliminate 25% of the agency’s grants next year. This fact is astounding in itself but even worse is the implication for university research programs financed with government funds and the now longstanding schemes by universities that finance the enlargement of their campuses and expanding production of Ph.D.s for whom there are insufficient employment opportunities. I’m amazed with the level of output of life science Ph.D.s in the Bay Area who tell me about their being stuck in low paid positions in academic labs due to insufficient position availability in academic ranks or industry.
There are some events this week, but then there’s a quiet period for the holidays.
I’ve listed the highlights for this coming week:
- BioCentury TV Today, See new program Webcast Starting Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012 http://www.biocenturytv.com, Available anytime starting at 9:00 a.m. EDT; Topic: “Pro Innovation: A Matter of Incentives;” Speakers: Dr. Paula Stephan, Professor of Economics at Georgia State University and Mitchell Horowitz of Battelle’s Technology Partnership Practice
- CACO, Monday Afternoon, Dec. 10, 2012; Topic: “Population PK/PD Modeling;”Speakers: Joga Gobburu (U.Maryland), Rose Feng (U. Michigan), Mike Eldon (Nektar), Jin Jin (Genentech)
- Palo Alto AWIS Chapter Meeting, Monday Evening, Dec. 10, 2012; Topic: “Managing Mood, Maximizing Opportunities: An introduction to the power and possibilities of mood;” Speaker: Mary Ann Ireland, The Stratam Group
- Bio2Device Group, Tuesday Evening, Dec. 11, 2012; Topic: “Current Concepts in Treatment of the Diabetic Foot Ulcers and Other Chronic Wounds;” Speaker: Alex Reyzelman, MD, Private Practice
- Bioscience Forum, Wednesday Evening, Dec. 19, 2012; Topic: “Licensing and M&A Trends: What to Expect in 2013;” Speaker: Eric Walczykowski, General Manager, Deloitte Recap and Life Sciences Accelerator
- Prescience International, Thursday Afternoon, Dec. 13, 2012; Topic: “8th Annual Trends in Financing Investor Panel and Holiday Celebration”
I’ll be issuing one more list of positions in the middle of the month.