Take Action to Stop Slick Political Propaganda to Repeal and Replace ACA
The ACLU says it well in condemning the Repeal of the Affordable Care Act with a replacement that is not affordable for majority of ever poorer Americans ( a group that gets larger every year) across the nation:
- Millions of Americans would lose coverage
- It would gut Medicaid to the tune of $880 billion—harming people with disabilities who rely on Medicaid for essential services
- It would block Medicaid patients from seeking care at Planned Parenthood—restricting access to cancer screenings, breast exams and STI tests and treatments, and forcing health centers to close.
- It would attack women’s ability to buy private insurance that covers abortion.Source: In Hands Off Our Healthcare: Don’t Repeal The ACA the ACLU states its case at https://ssl.capwiz.com/aclu-action/issues/alert/?alertid=76013626
Why is the ACLU so involved in this fight to prevent the American Health Care Act from being passed? Because health care is a civil right in all advanced democratic countries with exception of U.S. under Republicans who are too cheap to spend needed money to provide quality health care plan for all Americans. Those in power continue to espouse ideology that gives more money out of the pockets of hard working taxpayers to the extremely wealthy, large corporations and market-based health care system companies that enrich themselves at the expense of quality care for all. Paul Ryan is so excited about the American Health Care Act because it fulfills his dream since his frat days—to stop supporting poor people with needed health care. )http://readersupportednews.org/news-section2/318-66/42545-paul-ryan-ive-been-dreaming-about-kicking-the-poor-off-medicaid-since-i-was-a-frat-boy) Paul Ryan doesn’t believe health care is a universal right but rather a privilege that can be removed when the cost is too high in his mind and those of his like-minded brothers.
Those opposed to universal health care have used fear-based ideology in past to deny Americans same quality of preventive and therapeutic care that other foreign nations provide their citizens as “socialist”, claim such a system would destroy choice for patients, and would place too much power in hands of governments. The propaganda that patients want to control their own choices so much that they would choose not to have mandated insurance to provide care when needed and that “access” is the most important value even if the accessible plans are unaffordable. Access is worthless if one can’t afford the price of insurance under plan that gives expensive alternative choices and eliminates the needed subsidies to pay for that more expensive policy. Just as the new proposed budget is heartless, the American Health Care Act is a cruel joke on our citizenry. And especially so for the population in rural red states that voted forThrump, the biggest con man of them all.
“Repealing the ACA threatens our civil rights and liberties and harms millions of vulnerable people.” Tell your members of Congress to oppose the American Health Care Act and remember the need to bring relief to the suffering and least able to protect themselves from slick talking politicians.
Go to https://ssl.capwiz.com/aclu-action/issues/alert/?alertid=76013626&type=CO&emsrc=Nat_Appeal_AutologinEnabled&emissue=reproductivefreedom_disabilityrights&emtype=capwiz&ms=eml_170317_reproductivefreedom_disabilityrights_ACArepeal&__af=query_string_encrypted
And follow suggestions for contacting your representatives and voice your opinion about repeal of ACA without equivalent or better health care. We have to communicate the sham nature of the propaganda in behalf of huge tax cuts to the wealthy and increased income for the middle men health care companies that run our “market” health care.
Highlights of Bioscience Events Week of March 19, 2017
- HBA, Monday Evening, March 20, 2017, Fireside Chat: The Future of Medicine with Former NBC Medical Journalist Dr. Nancy Snyderman, Featured speakers: Nancy Snyderman, Consulting global health professor, former otolaryngologist, former chief medical editor, Stanford University; Jennifer Lovejoy, Chief science officer, Arivale; Ramji Srinivasan, Chief executive officer, Counsyl; Darren Brown, Executive vice president, employee benefits, ABD Insurance & Financial Services
- EPPICon 2017, Saturday, March 25, 2017. Event: 11th Annual flagship event of EPPIC Global, Keynote Speakers: Ira Mellman, PhD (Genentech) and D. J. Patil (Chief Data Scientist, White House Office of Science and Technology)
- CABS, Saturday Afternoon, March 25, 2017, Topic: “Precision Medicine for oncology and immunology”
You can download the details for the upcoming events this week and those through June 2017 with Audreys Picks March 19 2017.