Will CEOs Get Punished For Their Own and Companies’ Misdeeds?
There is a lot of anger being unearthed as the small guys/the rank and file take the fall for the big CEOs. This was true when the bank CEOs and other high up management got the “out of jail” free card after the bank mortgage scandals of 2008-2009. The disruption of so many Americans’ lives, families’ futures and individuals’ careers will never be corrected from that terrible injustice carried out like some sort of game that the unscrupulous MBAs, mortgage salesmen and bean counters pulled off to increase profits for their companies and themselves. Some like Elizabeth Warren are still calling for their trials with seeming little hope to bring those at the top to justice—perhaps until now.
This past week John Stumpf, the CEO of Wells Fargo Bank, suddenly retired but may not be able to skip accusation and potential trial for his role in the scam at Wells Fargo which some are sure to call “just marketing gone too far”. When folks get mad enough, there can be an overwhelming force to bring the bad guys to justice. See details at http://money.cnn.com/2016/10/12/investing/wells-fargo-ceo-john-stumpf-retires/index.html?section=money_news_international
We are witnesses to many folks having had enough with outrageous price increases for products in the life science industry in the recent year. We may also see some sort of justice demanded by the people in the future as they learn what is behind the political protection for our “marketing-based health care system” instead of the system payer system used by the majority of advanced western societies.
Upcoming Life Science Events Week of Oct. 16, 2016
- Biotech Bay Talent Connect, Monday Afternoon, Oct. 17, 2016, Event: Biotech Bay Talent Connect
- Bio2Device Group, Tuesday Morning, Oct. 18, 2018, Topic: “Lessons learned from Y Combinator and contrarian strategies for early-stage medtech;” Speaker: Nick Damiano , Co-Founder & CEO, Zenflow
- JLABS Bay Area, Tuesday Morning, Oct. 18, 2016, Topic: “The Real Deal: How to Lead with Authenticity,” Presenter: John Bates | Chief Executive Officer & Executive Whisperer, Executive Speaking Success & Business Coaching read bio»
- EMBS, Wednesday Evening, Oct. 18, 2016, Topic: “Surgical Robotics Development – From Research Lab to Commercialization,” Speaker: Jian Zhang, Ph.D., Co-Founder and Former CEO, RobotPhoenix
- BioScience Forum, Wednesday Evening, Oct. 19, 2016, Topic: “Probody Therapeutics Enable Safer and More Effective Oncology Therapies;” Speaker: Michael Kavanaugh, M.D., Chief Scientific Officer and Head of Research and Non-Clinical Development, CytomX Therapeutics
You can download the details for highlighted meetings as well as other meetings through Dec. 2016 in audreys-picks-oct-16-2016-2016.